March 18, 2021 | Staff Writers
Are you ready to find your fit?I WANT MYSelect a DegreeAssociate’sBachelor’sMaster’sDoctorateCertificate / DiplomaGraduate CertificatesINSelect a CategoryFOCUSING ONSelect a Subject
Affordable Bachelor’s In Psychology
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.VIEW MORE PROGRAMS
Note: This article may contain sponsored links. These are designed to help you connect with programs easily.
How much does an online psychology degree cost?
As with anything, the cost of your online bachelor’s degree in psychology will vary based on a number of factors. On average, an online bachelor’s degree will cost anywhere from $38,496 to $60,593 in total, according to U.S. News data. What you will end up paying will be calculated based on the credit hours you take, the degree program you choose, the scholarship or financial aid money you qualify for, and many other factors.
How long does an online psychology degree take to complete?
How long it takes to complete an online psychology degree will depend on the number of college credits you have, the number of courses you take per semester, and the requirements of the program you choose. On average, it will take about four years to complete a bachelor’s degree program in psychology online. If the program is accelerated, it may be completed in less time.
How can I choose the best online psychology degree program?
The first thing you need to do when deciding on a degree program is to outline what your main goals and priorities are. If cost is the main issue, that will help you determine what program is best for you. If you want an accelerated program, that will tell you what factors to use to determine the best plan of action to meet your needs. Once you have your priorities outlined, check into the program’s reputation, licensing, and other important metrics to make sure it aligns with your goals.
2021 Most Affordable Online Psychology Degree Programs
|1||University of Florida||Gainesville, FL|
|2||Florida International University||Miami, FL|
|3||Thomas Edison State University||Trenton, NJ|
|4||University of Illinois at Springfield||Springfield , IL|
|5||Trine Online||Fort Wayne , IN|
|6||University of Louisiana at Monroe||Monroe, LA|
|7||Rutgers University||Camden, NJ|
|8||The Baptist College of Florida||Gainesville, FL|
|9||University of Central Florida||Orlando , FL|
|10||Eastern Washington University||Cheney , WA|
The Best Online Psychology Programs Ranking Methodology
For this ranking, we looked for public and private (non-profit) colleges and universities that offer undergraduate psychology degrees online. Because the focus of this list is on affordability, we only considered programs with average* tuition rates of $20,000/year or less.
We also narrowed our search to include only schools that offer full, four-year bachelor’s degrees in psychology online (no degree completion programs).
*For public schools, we calculated the average value of their in-state and out-of-state rates.
After compiling a list of all the colleges that offer online psychology bachelor’s degrees and meet the above criteria, we then collected data in three categories:
- Program Popularity: Out of all undergraduates, how many choose specifically to major in psychology? In other words, how successful is the psychology program at attracting undergraduates to their degree, especially since psychology is typically one of the most popular programs at any college? To find out, we considered both the number of students who earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology in the most recent school year as well as what percentage those students comprised of the entire undergraduate senior class.
- Specialization Options: What sort of academic variety and customization opportunities does the program provide? This is a particularly important consideration for psychology majors who want to prepare for specific careers, as the field is notoriously broad. To test this metric, we looked at how many concentration/emphasis options each program offers (if any).
- Affordability: What is the average annual cost of attendance?
After collecting and sorting all the information, we ranked the candidates according to their performance in each area.
Read more about the best cheap online bachelor’s degrees in psychology below!
Online Bachelor’s in Psychology Overview
If you’re starting off in an online bachelor’s in psychology program with no prior college experience, chances are good it will take about four years to complete the program if you’re enrolled full time. Most programs will require at least 120 credits for you to graduate, although there are options for accelerated or dual-degree programs that can add to the time it takes to complete your program.
An online psychology degree can prepare you to enter the workforce after you graduate or continue your education with a graduate degree in your field. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to your trajectory with your schooling, but a typical path for graduates in this field can lead to getting a master’s or doctorate degree in order to enter a lucrative profession in the field of psychology.
Common Bachelor’s in Psychology Degree Courses
You’ll have to complete a wide range of classes to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in psychology, including general education classes like math and English, as well as the required psychology courses in your major.
In general, this degree plan for this major will require you to take psychology classes like child and adult development, industrial-organizational psychology, and other behavioral science courses.
You’ll likely need to complete electives as well, though the elective and graduation requirements will vary from school to school.
Curious what your classes will look like if you pursue this degree? Let’s take a look at what some of the typical psychology classes are for this degree:
Most programs will require students to study abnormal psychology, which focuses on the biological, environmental, and psychosocial factors that are involved in psychopathology and behavioral maladjustment. This course covers a wide range of psychological disorders, including substance abuse, anxiety disorders, dissociative disorders, mood disorders, and personality disorders.
In a psychological assessment course, you’ll learn how to assess a client’s personality, cognitive abilities, interests, and values. The subject matter for this course can include test administration, development, reliability, scoring methods, validation, and test results interpretation.
A course in social psychology will help you explore how social context plays a role in people’s behaviors, thoughts, and emotions. These courses teach you how social influence can shape group behavior or how social environments contribute to issues with aggression or attraction. These types of courses also cover topics like gender norms and other social constructs related to psychology.
Online Bachelor’s in Psychology Admission Requirements or Prerequisites
The admissions requirements and prerequisites will vary from program to program. In general, you will need to meet the requirements for admission to the college or university you are considering, which will be at least a high school diploma or GED. You may also need to submit standardized test scores, like SAT or ACT results, for admission. Other applicatioono requirements will vary.
After you are admitted to the school you’ve applied to, you may also need to apply for admission to the psychology program at the school. Some majors require special applications to be admitted into the program.
Career Paths for Psychology Students
There are a number of different career paths you can venture down with a degree in psychology. While some will require a graduate degree, others offer a feasible path to employment with just an undergraduate degree in psychology.
Potential career paths include:
- Human resources manager
- Psychology professor*
- Psychology teacher, high school
- Child psychologist
- Mental health professional
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Marriage and family therapist
- Drug and alcohol counselor
- Behavior analyst*
- Clinical psychologist*
- Correctional officer
- Industrial psychologist
- Mental health counselor
- Program evaluation consultant
- Social behavioral scientist
*These career paths, and possibly others on this list, will require you to attend a graduate and/or professional school and obtain licensure.
Top 25 Online Affordable Bachelor’s Programs in Psychology for 2021
COLLAPSE ALL EXPAND ALL
- University of FloridaLOCATIONGainesville, FLTUITION$$$$$VIEW SCHOOL PROFILEThe University of Florida (UF) offers an affordable online psychology degree that runs fully online in an asynchronous format. The 120-credit program includes coursework in behavior analysis, abnormal psychology, and comparative psychology. The capstone experience features five options, such as a senior thesis and an undergraduate research project.UF’s Career Connections Center (CCC) offers virtual recruiting events and job and graduate school search engines. Other valuable CCC services include resume critiques and graduate school preparation tips. UF degree-seekers can use a four-year career plan to set goals for each year of college.Prospective learners submit either high school transcripts or GED scores. UF also requires standardized test scores. Transfer credit must reflect a minimum 2.75 GPA. In-state students save significantly on tuition compared to out-of-state learners. UF provides degree-seekers with a scholarship search engine that curates hundreds of institutional financial aid opportunities.University of Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Florida International UniversityLOCATIONMiami, FLTUITION$$$$$
- Thomas Edison State UniversityLOCATIONTrenton, NJTUITION$$$$$
- University of Illinois at SpringfieldLOCATIONSpringfield , ILTUITION$$$$$
- Trine OnlineLOCATIONFort Wayne , INTUITION$$$$$
- University of Louisiana at MonroeLOCATIONMonroe, LATUITION$$$$$VIEW SCHOOL PROFILEUniversity of Louisiana Monroe (ULM) created its most affordable online bachelor’s degree program in psychology with the latest cutting-edge research in mind. Learners finish general education requirements before starting the major in their junior year. Required courses include an introduction to research methods, advanced general psychology, and statistics. In their senior year, degree-seekers take 4-5 psychology electives.At the ULM Career Center, students can access Handshake job search software, learn how to write a resume, and watch multiple how-to videos that cover what employers desire in job applicants. New learners can also join a career academy to learn how to prepare for a job hunt and a first career.Freshman applicants submit standardized test scores. ULM uses a GPA cutoff for high school graduates.Transfer credit must reflect a minimum C grade. All students pay the same per-credit tuition rate at this public university. ULM online degree-seekers may qualify for one or more federal grants or loans.University of Louisiana Monroe is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Rutgers UniversityLOCATIONCamden, NJTUITION$$$$$
- The Baptist College of FloridaLOCATIONGainesville, FLTUITION$$$$$
- University of Central FloridaLOCATIONOrlando , FLTUITION$$$$$
- Eastern Washington UniversityLOCATIONCheney , WATUITION$$$$$
- Bellevue UniversityLOCATIONBellevue , NETUITION$$$$$
- Indiana University-EastLOCATIONRichmond , INTUITION$$$$$
- Missouri State UniversityLOCATIONSpringfield , MOTUITION$$$$$
- Northwestern State University of LouisianaLOCATIONNatchitoches, LATUITION$$$$$
- Concordia UniversityLOCATIONSt. Paul , MNTUITION$$$$$
- University of Houston DowntownLOCATIONHouston, TXTUITION$$$$$
- Fayetteville State UniversityLOCATIONFayetteville, NCTUITION$$$$$
- National UniversityLOCATIONLa Jolla , CATUITION$$$$$
- University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical CampusLOCATIONDenver, COTUITION$$$$$
- Eastern Illinois UniversityLOCATIONCharleston, ILTUITION$$$$$
- Fort Hays State UniversityLOCATIONHays, KSTUITION$$$$$
- University of ArizonaLOCATIONTucson, AZTUITION$$$$$
- University of MemphisLOCATIONMemphis, TNTUITION$$$$$
- Washington State UniversityLOCATIONPullman, WATUITION$$$$$
- University of North DakotaLOCATIONGrand Forks, NDTUITION$$$$$
- Top 15 Most Affordable Online Bachelor’s Degrees in Child Development
- Top 10 Least Expensive Online Bachelor’s Degrees in Counseling
- Psychology Scholarships